Plumbing Tulsa – How to Prepare your Plumbing for Winter
If you have lived in Tulsa, OK for a season, then you know that the winters in Tulsa can be rough on plumbing. As the outside temperature drops below freezing, the ground temperature begins to drop as well. Soon after, we experience snow, ice, sleet, and freezing rain. When this happens, the ground temperature drops to a point where it freezes forcing the area around pipes to contract. This contraction can wreak havoc on pipes, especially older ones. If you live in a home that is 40 years old or older, you should have a Tulsa Plumbing company check your plumbing for cracks or breaks. Catching a small problem now will save you money and it may save you a huge expense down the road.
Plumbing Tulsa – Doing things inexpensively
For those living in older, as well as newer homes, there are several things you can do to protect the plumbing that’s above ground and, it can be done very inexpensively.
1. Cover your outside water faucets. Covers can be purchased at your local home improvement or hardware store. These covers are generally made of styrofoam and have a soft rubber lining around them that makes a good seal up against your home. Water faucet covers are easy to install, inexpensive, fit right over you faucet, and help keep your faucet from freezing.
2. Heat Tape – this tape is also inexpensive and can be purchased at your local home improvement or hardware store. You wrap it around pipes under your sink in kitchens, bathrooms, and utility rooms and then plug the adapter that comes with it into a nearby electrical outlet. The electricity heats the tape, which keeps your pipes warm and prevents them from freezing up. Note: the use of heat tape is really only necessary on pipes that are against outside walls so you wouldn’t need to put it on pipes under sinks in interior bathrooms.
3. Pipe Insulation – is generally sold in rolls or comes as a rubber tube with a slit down the length of the tube allowing you to easily fit it onto the pipe. The insulation or tube can be cut to the desired length and is easy to install. Naturally, the rolls of pipe insulation would need to be wrapped around the pipe while the rubber tubes just fit over the pipe. Both are effective and can be used on pipes next to outside walls as well as those next to interior walls. Pipe insulation is inexpensive, easy to install, and can be purchased at your local home improvement store or hardware store.
4. Disconnect your garden hose from the faucet. If there’s any water left in the hose, it will prevent the water from freezing and possibly tearing a hole in your hose or cracking the faucet at the point of connection.
5. If you have an outside lawn irrigation system, check with your irrigation system installer or a local irrigation contractor to see if your system needs to be winterized. Most modern irrigation systems don’t require winterization but you can’t tell by just looking at anything so it’s best to ask questions and have it checked. It could save you a huge repair bill.
Plumbing Tulsa Questions?
If you have any questions about how to protect your plumbing in Tulsa, OK from the harshness that winter brings on, contact your local Plumbing Tulsa contractor. You’ll be glad you did.